Thursday, May 10, 2012

Oh Sweet Chicago

Illinois.  Friend or foe?  For me, coming from Wisconsin, Illinois has always been my rival.  In sports; my beloved Green Bay Packers versus the Chicago Bears and the Milwaukee Brewers against the Cubs.  I have many fond memories of sport outings both home and away, but what generally brings me back to Illinois is the windy city, yes sweet Chicago.

A mere ninety miles away, I visit Chicago semi-frequently as my company is headquartered there.  I have the luxury of a drive versus flying.  It is sometimes a welcome relief and I stress sometimes. Here comes my weekly rant; yes I promise to rant at least once a week.   Travels aren't always a happy experience!   Illinois and Wisconsin share the I-94 corridor which is traveled immensely from both sides of the border, with folks going to and from work.  The problem lies in the state.  Which one I am not totally sure of yet, Wisconsin or Illinois.  Wisconsin is always in the state of construction and Illinois is always in the state of confusion.  Put those two elements together and bam!, Instant problems!  In Illinois it seems the norm is to drive at ninety-five miles per hour, weave in and out of traffic with no signals and then, flip off the driver you just passed because they weren't going fast enough. At least that's been my experience.  At first I thought people really liked me because they were always waving at me and signalling that I was number one. In Wisconsin folks just tailgate to the point you could share your morning coffee because the driver in the car behind you is sitting in your back seat!  Oh, the joy of 6 A.M. traffic.  Not to disappoint it repeats again at 5 P.M.  That was my rant, now back to Chicago.
Harry Caray's Potato Chips


Chicago, Chi-Town, the Windy City.  Settled in my rival state, it is truly a gem.  I love to visit Chicago.  It boasts one of the nicest sky lines along Lake Michigan and has much to offer its visitors.  From the Museum of Science and Industry to the Shedd Aquarium, there is an array of places to enjoy and explore.


If you're looking for a place to dine while in Chicago, one of my personal favorites is Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse and Bar. 
Having been a patron at Harry's several times for business and leisure, I've had the opportunity to try several different fares.  For a fun bar experience, try the home made potato chips which always are a hit.   A great dark beer to try is  Dragons Milk at 10% ABV it packs a punch but has a great coffee,toffee,vanilla vibe. Delicious!  I love trying new beers, my mid section is proof of that!    For dinner, start with calamari as an appetizer, it's a no brainer and for an entree everything looks great.  My personal fav, Tilapia made with sauteed baby spinach my taste buds sing every time.  I have not yet tried a steak at Harry's but some of my colleagues have.  All I can say is the size of the steak is huge!  One fellas plate looked as though they just walked the cow up to the plate and it plopped down! To my total astonishment he ate every bite!

When I'm in Chicago I try to visit different places when I can.  Navy Pier is a great place to visit in the summer, right on the lake front it has many different venues, shops, dining, even live jazz music.  My visit to Chicago this time around was very short, no overnight stay so not a lot to report this week.  You can bet I will be writing about Chicago again though.  Each visit promises a new place to check out, I hear there's a new casino in town...


Next stop Florida.  I promise some great food pictures!  If you have any ideas or comments for the weekly rant, please feel free to share them.  If you have any suggestions for restaurants you'd like me to try, let me know.  If I'm in the area, I'll try to stop in and check it out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment